Rain Man, I am Sam, My Left Foot, Scent of a Woman, Forrest Gump, The Other Sister...
Millions of people flock to see movies like these to marvel at the gifts and accomplishments of people with disabilities. But how many of these moviegoers ever actually get involved in the life of an individual with a disability?
Most people with disabilities want to lead typical lives. They aspire to have jobs, make friends, go on dates, travel and be invited to parties. However, people with disabilities still face incredible discrimination and are often ignored. You can help change this! Instead of turning your head when you encounter someone with a disability, take a risk; give him or her a chance. You may find that a person with a disability can enrich your life.
10 Ways to get involved with People with Developmental Disabilities:
- Make a friend
- Employ someone
- Rent or share an apartment with someone
- Tutor a classmate
- Teachers: Welcome a student into your classroom
- Help someone join a club or team
- Carpool with someone
- Get a job working with individuals with disabilities
- Volunteer for a non-profit
- Contribute to a worthy cause